Saturday 30 October 2010

That's what happens when you skim read

So, I've busted a gut to get more time to get in work, to get more stuff done etc etc. Taking responsibility for the fact I'm being promoted. Good girl, me. But there are times I can't do - times I need to be with boy, times I need to do my other duties at work. I explained this in an email, but because the scheduling manager hasn't read it properly, and saw the timings in my email, he's just given me the times I can't do. I'm available 18 hours on Monday, except the evening. Guess what shift I have? Same for Thursday. Sigh. I'll go down tomorrow on his shift and explain the situation, but in the mean time, I've asked for cover on our system. Still, it's a huge effing headache considering I have a dependent to consider too.

On the flip side, two of the shifts I've been given that I can do read as management shifts. Scary. They've made me run 2 shifts this week which is great, I wanna do the stuff and get used to it ... but I need more than just 'okay, run the shift now'. How about telling me goals, things I have to get done, how to do certain things (like travelpaths, KVS reports etc) ... they should know by now I have a billion questions about everything and will ask as they occur, I'm not a robot, I'm a thinker, and I'm thinking about how little someone who's just been promoted has actually given me to think about. Could be worse though, she's spoonfeeding her boyfriend everything, he won't have the wherewithal to run a shift properly at the end of it.

So, enough about work. In three weeks time I will be with some of the best people on the planet, having seen Harry Potter 7.1 in Empire Impact at half 10 in the morning. Obsessed? Moi?

Oh, and this is really for http://zeebee-booksbooksbooks.bloggingabout.com but I'm on the second part of Anna Karenina. Awesome book, even if the English translation makes the language clunk a little. A little more vapid a subject matter than I was expecting from the guy who brought us War And Peace, but the detail's what counts.

My back's hurting too. Got to stop lugging all my books about every day for work.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm almost three quarters of the way through Anna Karenina too. I know what you mean about the translation, creates a bit of a headache sometimes. And I don't think the subject matter was quite what I was expecting! I had to stop and read another book in the middle(The boy in the striped pajamas), it was going to drive me mad. I'm getting there though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't quite see the appeal of Vronsky? Although I totally get why he likes Anna, she seems to jump off the page. I can't quite keep up with how all of them have two or three names either, it took me a few chapters to realise Oblonsky was Dolly's husband lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Vronsky doesn't seem to have a clue what he wants,jumps from one thing to another, does he really love her, or is it just his latest project he'll get bored off?

    I think I'm sort of reading to see how Levin and Kitty get on, they make me go Awww, there better be a good ending there...

    I still struggle with the names, it can take a few paragraphs to work out who it is! Do they have an official full name, a short name for friends and a family pet name? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it might be a status thing, like in some circles you're known by a family name - like when Anna's husband isn't a Karenin - and in some circles you're known by your married name, and then you have pet names for family and close friends. I think. You've read far more than I have.

    ReplyDelete